Introducing the Fez-o-rama Basket Case!
Stow your fez in style!
Since I started making fezzes way back at the turn of the century, I have been on the prowl for a good way to store and transport them. In the past I've used shipping boxes, food service boxes, even a converted make-up case made by a good friend. Ultimately each came up short in one way or another. What I needed was something sturdy but lightweight, had a bit of style and most importantly, it needed to be able to be packed in a suitcase. We do a lot of travel and since our fezzes are designed to handle being folded and stuffed in a bag, my fez case needed to be able to handle the same. I know a lot of people have trouble with getting things to and from shows and I wanted to help with a solution.
I had been working on some ideas for a few years but then I stumbled across a tatami style purse in an aquarium gift shop and knew I had found the answer. We reached out to the company that made the purses and got to work on modifying their product to meet our needs.We partnered with Baskets of Cambodia to create our new fez-carrying Basket Cases. Our goal was to find a creative, sustainable and stylish solution to the fez storage and transport challenge many of our collectors are faced with. There were a number of traits that we were looking to meet.
- Materials – We wanted to use materials that wouldn’t just add to the burden, sure there are leather-wrapped cardboard options out there, but we wanted something better. These cases are made of sustainable woven grasses and recycled rice sacks, adding a fun and unique style to each case.
- Quality Hardware – This is where most companies cut costs and they become the first point of failure. Our cases have quality zipper pulls, D-rings, and strap clips that will stand up to many years of daily use and abuse.
- Pack-able Design – This is something that is rather unique to our product needs.When we are selling at shows, people often ask “How am I going to get this home?” Since our fezzes are fold-able, we needed a fez case that was fold-able as well. Simply unzip the sides and the Basket Case folds flat for storage. Now both our fezzes and the case can be packed in your luggage and conveniently travel with you to your destination.
- Style – This is of course a big one for us. We needed something that we would be proud to carry and allowed for some creative expression. We’re starting off with five different patterns of tatami weaves, from classic black to an elegant pin-stripe. Each case has a card slot on the front that holds our case card with spaces for your ID information on the back to help get your misplaced case back into your hands. On the back of the case is a large clear pocket designed to hold a small print, custom sketch card or whatever random thing you would like to slip in there. It is an easy and temporary way to customize your case.
- Fun – Let’s face it, we’re not curing cancer here. We make fezzes… full-time. We need a case that has the same ability to put a smile on a face that our fezzes do. Something surprising and unique.
Baskets of Cambodia was started in 1996 as a Transparent Fair Trade exporter of baskets made in Cambodia, focused on building sustainable incomes for rural communities. They provide a healthcare safety net program, yearly dividends, and schooling options in varying degrees depending on the level of participation of their makers in Cambodia. All of these things contribute to produce a quality product that reflects the satisfaction and the growing esteem of their talented makers.