August/September Medical Delays [UPDATED]

WARNING medical stuff to be discussed.

[Update below]

[Update #2 below below]

[Update #3 below the below below]

[Update #4 below the below below below]

It is Friday August 19. This morning Maya had a final COVID test and we are now in quarantine until she enters the Hospital on Monday for her extensive reconstruction surgery. She is expected to be in the hospital for 3-4 days, then be mostly incapacitated for a week, and unable to drive for 8 weeks.

While I will be able to do some fez production during this time it obviously won't be at our normal capacity, and as Maya normally handles all of the shipping, that will see the biggest delays.

We will do our best to keep up with orders but please expect some extra time between production and shipping.

For those just joining us:

In October 2020 Maya was diagnosed with breast cancer. We immediately cancelled all of our shows for the next year. In February 2022 she had a bilateral mastectomy, then went through 6 rounds of chemo. Now after some time to recover from chemotherapy, she is going in for extensive reconstruction. This isn't the end of her treatments but it is probably the most significant procedure and we look forward to her recovery and our finally getting begin the work to rejoin the outside world.

Thanks for your understanding

[Update 8/29]

There were complications with Maya's cancer reconstruction surgery and she has had to stay in the hospital for longer than expected. We are hopeful that she will be able to return home at the end of the week. Unfortunately this does mean our current delays will continue for a bit longer.

[Update 9/2]

Maya's situation has continued to improve but to give her the best possible outcome (and due to the holiday weekend) she has to remain at the hospital with her next surgery scheduled for 9/7. We're hoping she will be discharged by the following week.

I have been able to catch up with orders so far so we aren't expecting much in impact in shipping delays at this point.

[Update 9/10]

After 18 days in the hospital Maya was discharged on September 9th and is now resting in bed. It will be some time before she can get back to work at the capacity she is used to, so for now I will be doing my best to take care of her and keep things rolling along with Fez-o-rama. So far we have managed to avoid any unnecessarily long delays and I hope to keep it that way, but I have delayed the release of a few designs until I know we are in a better position to handle it.

[Update 11/4]

Maya continues to recover but the last month has been challenging as she developed an infection while in the hospital. This has required daily trips to the infusion center for IV antibiotics for most of October and into November. We are hoping that we only have a few more days before she is given the all-clear from her doctor.

Once again thank you for your support and understanding.

Hopefully there won't be a need for a 4th Update.

Back to blog